Already got the first three great tips to improve our speaking? here the next four..
But before that, may I tell you a bit? Also when I was in my SMP, a teacher said that Im not good in language skill, Im better in exact matter and I agreed. I live in many years believed that Im bad in language include English and just accept it and didnt do anything. Fortunately, lately, again, I realize that its not just important but urgent so I have to do something, I need to learn. Thats it.
Okeeee... The fourth is learn deeply. Whats that mean? Mm we need to well understand the meaning of the words or the phrases, we need more than just know the translation. In school. we learn a lot of vocabularies and just using textbook, actually its the opposite way of how we should study to speak automatically. By understand well the meaning, we dont need to think the translation nor grammar. It should just comes out of our mouth automatically when we wanna deliver/message/say something. So how? learning deeply is repeating a lot. Its related to the third tip, Its said that natives should repeat about 30 times to perfectly understand the use of a word or phrase, yeah maybe its need 50-100 times for us to get it. Repeat it a lot in different contex so, again, we can understand the meaning deeply. Just be surprise that one day the words comes out automatically. No posing, no breaks, no thinking, and no trying when we gonna use that in our speaking. Again, automatically.
Next.. use point of view stories to learn english grammar. Hey! you said we should forget the grammar to be good speakers. Yes! but we agree that we still need the grammar, right? just dont think to much on it. We can start with the small story and change the point of view like change the time and/or the the person of the story. Here I copy an example straight from the Real English material:
There is a man. His name is John. John goes to the store. John buys a shirt. The shirt is blue. (Present tense)
There was a man. His name was John. Two years ago, John went to the store. He bought a shirt. The shirt was blue. (Past tense)
There will be a man. His name will be John. John will go to the store. John is going to buy a shirt. The shirt will be blue. (Future tense)
I am a man. My name is John. I go to the store. I buy a shirt. The shirt is blue. (Present Tense and John telling the story himself)
By pricticing this way (either by listening or make it ourself), one day we must can speak it without thinking. When we wanna say 'someone go' in any conditions (who is the subject and when its happen), we may not think "oke, if its 'I, you, we, or they' I should use 'go', if its single third person (she, he) I should use 'goes', if its happened in the past I should use 'went' for all subject, and 'will go' if its happen later". No! we have no time to think, it should come out automatically that 'I go', 'you go', 'she goes',and so on, then if its already happened we'll say 'I went', 'John went', and so on or 'they will go', 'he will go, and so on for 'go' that will happen later. Again, its related to tip for learn not word by word but by the phrases or even the sentences. Of course this is the very simple example, just implement this for others.
When we practice by listening just make sure that we understand, just be relax, listen the each story, no thinking about grammar although we are studying grammar. we are not trying to remember what or how the verb
changes but just listening (listen, listen and listen) to understanding. Lets call this learning grammar without having to memorize any grammar.
OKe, the sixth.. use real material not textbook English. Textbook is about formal English or written English not real English. Listening the conversation from textbook also not real English, its not normal conversation, unnatural. Hey! listening real material sounds fun I think. Again, movies can be the best choice. The other choices are audiobooks, kid audiobooks (like story for kids), TV shows/programs, and the advance ones are news program such BBC and CNN. Make sure we understand 95% of the context. Just try listen the interesting topic and the easier.
The laaasst tip is use listen and answer mini stories. Mm.. I think its the way to teach or maybe if there is learning method like this, we can consider to take it. They said this is the most powerful. In real life, there is a lot question and answer, not one person keep talking and the others just quietly listening. Talking, questions, answering, talking, questions,
answering, this is the natural. Again, it’s so fast and so easy. You don’t need to think. You don’t need to think in your language. You can think immediately in English. You can understand immediately in English. You can answer quickly with one or two words immediately in English.
In this story there is a boy.
Then I ask a question very fast: Is there a boy?
Your job as the student, you say: Yes.
Right? Very easy. I just told you there’s a boy then I ask you: Is there a boy?
So of course you understand very fast and you answer very, very fast. You shout: Yes!
And I say: Is there a boy or is there a girl?
You shout: Boy!
It’s fast and easy. We don’t need to think. We don’t need to think in our language. We must think immediately in English. We can understand immediately in English. We can answer quickly and immediately in English. Translation just make slow.
Okeee, these all the tips I can share. I hope its help you (of course me too) to improve our speaking. Keep practicing! :).
No comments:
Post a Comment