![]() |
| Source: http://www.gotmesh.org/ |
Its million times to hear that ability in English is a must. Countries boundary is nothing now. Countries really be one world and English be one of the important thing to unite them. Huft.. We agree that good mark in English exams (even English certification such toefl, toeic, ielts, etc.) doesn't implies we are good in using English as a language, right? Do you also agree that speaking is the most important? For me, thats the most worry. Here, I share seven tips to improve our speaking. I got it from Real English (materials I got from my friend) and I think these are great tips you can try. Really. I divided it into 2 articles, and this is the first part.
First, learn phrases not individual words. Its common for us to make vocabulary list in the form of one word followed by the translation, right? Studying English word by word, then arrange these grammatically. When we are going to say a sentence, often we translate it word by word first, think about the order then say it. Actually its not the natural way to learn English, thats not the way that native speakers learn it. It also just make us slow, why? yeah because we need to think it word by word that sometimes just make a strange break along our speaking. And I think it also burden us to get words or phrases to make more casual or natural sentences to be spoken. So how? this is what I do, I start to pay attention to the phrases used in the dialog of the film (yeah of course I need the subtitle). When I get new phrases or even phrases that I know but rare or never be used, I write it down on my note. Let me give the examples: Burst into laugh, relieve his boredom, morning has come, suck all the energy, take-off site, etc. Just write the English without the translation if we already know the meaning. If its needed, write the complete sentence to make sure we will know the use of the phrases in a sentence, examples: You can't get tired of this taste, She licks off the rest of the chocolate, etc. Guys, you can make your watching film time more useful by doing this, hehe.
The second tip is.. don't study grammar rules! Wow its little bit surprised but for me, this is the best answer of my lack in speaking English. How many years have we spend to study grammar? We have been studied since elementary school or even since preschool. Have you been successful? Are you able to speak English quickly, easily and automatically? I bet you absolutely agree that the reason is because we focus too much on grammar. We are afraid to make the wrong grammar and implies afraid to just speak. We know that native do not study grammar to start speaking, studying grammar just important in making formal text/article/report or any written documents. So, dont worry to much about choosing of the words or the order, I think its enough just making sure the audience understand what we are going to say, just speak it up.
I wanna tell something, When I was SMP, I ever made a leaflet contain an English phrase. I said "lets following us" instead of "lets follow us", I really didn't think the grammar and just typed it. Days after that, I met one of my English teacher and she said that its wrong, she didnt say whats the wrong and just complained in front of my friends. Since that day I really afraid to make mistake in English, yeah the haven't-mature girl become afraid in practicing English instead of make it a challenge. So, this is magic message for me "Think about grammar will only hurt your ability to speak English". Its enough to learn grammar so far, its time to speak and get away the worry.
Oke, the next tip is... Listen, listen and listen. Since being baby, natives study by listening the adult, babies do not study grammar, right? Aware or not, by often listening the real conversations/speaking make us familiar of the words, pronunciation, the tone and its possible to automatically add our vocabularies especially the phrases. I realize that my friends who have great ability in speaking English, they listen the west musics and love watching hollywood films. And the fact is that both are something uninteresting for me. I knew since many years ago that English is important but I just realize that its not just important but urgent, so lately I copy some English (at least with the subtitle) films and songs and try to enjoy it. Its better to late than never, right?
Oke, what kind of things should we listen? Its said that we must know at least 95% of the words there. We can try some programs such story telling, listening material, talk-show, news, and the most fun ones are watching films and listening musics. If we try a program and we cant get the 95%, just try the easier, like programs for beginner or even for kids.
Yap, its enough for now, make sure to continue to the next tips. See ya :)

No comments:
Post a Comment