Earlier this year, some of them arrived in Indonesia after sailing for days, even weeks, without proper food. I was literally in tears seeing their condition, until I had to stop watching the news because it was too disturbing. After arriving in Aceh, they were rejected. On social media, some people spread hate against them, encouraging others not to help because many Indonesians, they argued, deserve our help more. There was also fear that they would take over our country, just like what happened with Isr*** taking Palestinian land. I was really disappointed to hear these things. But what can I do? I don’t have a platform that can make a significant impact.
Yesterday, Narasi Newsroom released an investigation about an anti-Rohingya hate campaign. I never expected it to be so organized. Their investigation was excellent. These are buzzers (likely paid) who even go to where the Rohingya community gathers and expel them, ignoring the cries of mothers. The group that went to the coast to reject the new arrivals weren’t even local residents. The locals actually felt sorry for the refugees and were willing to help. I’m deeply disappointed. The reasons given to reject these refugees, who are already in pain and sorrow, are nonsense.
I hope the Rohingya people find a safe place and soon have the opportunity to live normal lives, allowing them to grow as a better and better community.[]
No comments:
Post a Comment